Monday, February 23, 2009

Explaining Lent to a 5 year old...

Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday and time to prepare for Lent. I told Little D that he could bring beads to school tomorrow to share with his class. Here is our conversation tonight:

D: What is Fat Tuesday? We all have to be fat?

Me: (laughing) No, it is just a day to prepare for Lent. This is the time before Easter when we think about Jesus and how He died on the cross for the bad choices we make.
On Wednesday, it is called Ash Wednesday and they make a cross on your head with ashes.

D: Awesome! I love crosses!

Me: Then during Lent- we give something up that we really enjoy like a favorite drink like coke.

D: Oh, well, Ms. Melissa (his teacher) likes to drink coke.

Me: Okay. Well, we can give up something that is a favorite thing or do things differently- like choosing to share with sisters or not yelling at each other- speaking kindly.

D: Well, how about I give up being at school!

Brent: Yes, I will give up being at school, too.

Me: (laughing) Nice try!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I was laughing out loud when I read this today!!! Great story - you've got some smart boys :)

Laura H. said...

you got me laughing out loud too... in my office while my boss is on the phone. nice. hahaha!

Michelle said...

OH MY GOODNESS! You didn't tell me that you had a blog. I am new official stalker.

Cute Story!